The foam roller is one of the greatest exercise tools due to how easy it is to use and how many exercises can be done with one. This is a great asset for athletes, children and just for an at-home workout. Many physical therapists recommend foam rollers for patients dealing with muscle pains.
The following are five exercises using the foam roller that we highly recommend:
- Calves – Sit on the floor and position your hands just slightly behind you. Place the foam roller below the center of your calf. Once in position, you’ll want to press down onto your calf muscle using your weight and lifting your hips from the floor. You’ll want to roll back and forth from your ankle to your knee slowly in ten to 30 second increments for each leg.
- Hamstrings – This position is similar to the one you get into when working out your calves. However, instead of placing the foam roller beneath your calf, you position it underneath your hamstring. Roll from your hip to the back of your knee for ten to 30 seconds.
- Quads – Lay with your stomach to the floor. Get into a plank position, supporting yourself on your forearms. The foam roller should be positioned under your hips. You’ll want to roll the foam roller from your hips down to your knees and back again.
- Abs – Lay out flat on the floor. Place your foam roller on the floor beneath your lower abs. Once you are in this position, stretch your legs out so that your feet are touching the floor. Walk backwards by using your arms in order to push. The foam roller should roll over your abs. Reverse your direction by pulling with your arms.
- Lower back – Sit on the floor and place the foam roller beneath your lower back, crossing your arms in front of you. Lean back by raising your hips off of the floor. Keep the weight on your lower back. Then shift your weight to one side without putting weight on your spine. Roll over your lower back area and then hold for ten to 30 seconds. Repeat this exercise for the other side as well.
These are exercises just to help you get started. There are countless exercises you can do with a foam roller that will stretch your entire body. Shop Althea Medical Group for the right foam roller to suit your specific needs.